6 years later




It's been a minute since I last wrote a blog entry. Six years if anyone is counting!  Somewhere between getting pregnant and discovering instagram, I fell away from blogging.  But in these Covid times where I rarely leave my house,  I've been reflecting on life and my business, and I want write about what I have learned in 7+ years of creative vending.   

Hands down the best thing about vending is its flexibility.  Since starting my business in 2013 I have run The Venderia in a few different ways depending on what else I was juggling in life.  Here's the evolution and a brief recap of what's been going on while this blog was dormant.


PHASE I.  Happy Fool  ~2013

I knew nothing about machines when I got started, as the previous posts on this blog illustrate!  But it was fun.  I was making lots of weird product.  Money was coming in.  And with only a few machines in operation & very few obligations (no kid, no house, no health insurance), I was able to just play around, reinvest my earnings in more machines, grow my fleet to 5 machines in less than a year and figure the business out slowly while working part-time at a bar & in a tax office. (By the way, H&R Block SUCKS.)


Me & my man at The Venderia launch party, Beulahland June 2013


PHASE II.  Pregnant.  Need Health Insurance.  New Mom.  Need Help.  Tired.  ~2014-2017

This was a rough time.  Pregnancy meant I needed to be responsible and get health insurance, which meant I had to get a 'real' job.  So I started working full-time as an administrative assistant in an accounting office.  The job was pretty great as far as 9-5s go-  easy workload, nice coworkers, good pay, pleasant commute, but I was strapped for time.  I was able to do all my computer-based business work while on the clock (hell yeah!) but finding time to shop for products, develop products, package products and stock machines was a challenge.  I hired help- a picker to scour the Bins for books, cds & VHS for me, and a high school student to do the packaging.  During this time I developed very few new products myself, but I fine tuned my old designs to make them simpler to assemble.  I also started relying more heavily on outside artists to supplement my inventory.  

I did not try to expand my business at this time.  Not only was I short on time, I didn't have a lot of money to reinvest in the business.  Paying for daycare & a mortgage made my life more expensive, while relying on outside vendors for products and paying for labor made my business less profitable.  This was a grueling few years, but in a lot of ways, the best.  I learned so much about time management when I was a new mom, working full-time, and running The Venderia.

How I felt most of 2015-2018


PHASE III.  Escape Plan ~2017-2018

My office job changed for the worst.  My firm was acquired by a larger firm.  I hated everything about the company except that you could work just 3 days a week and get full medical coverage.  So I took out a bank loan to buy more machines.  I expanded the empire.  As I made more money from vending, I cut my hours at the office, first down to 4 days, then 3.  Eventually, I was  making enough that I didn't even need the company health insurance so I tried to drop down to just 2 hours a week.  But no, they didn't go for that.  

I lost my office job around the same time my assistant moved on to her own full-time self-employment (https://laurenmilesphoto.com/).  I was in a weird place- not  making enough money to do vending full-time, but my business required more time from me than most jobs would allow.  With no assistant, I was back to doing all the work myself.  

I took on a series of disastrous part-time jobs, got FIRED 3 times in a row and was really questioning my sanity when I went back to the Lucky Lab, the brewpub where I worked when I started The Venderia. 


The climb


PHASE IV. Dream Scheme ~2018-2019

Life was good.  I loved working at the Lucky Lab.  It was such a nice change of pace to be working on my feet in a bar with music and cool people after so many years of working at on a computer in an office.  Best of all,  The Venderia was thriving.  

I took out another loan to buy 8 machines from a guy liquidating his business & almost doubled my revenue in 2018. I was making all kinds of new products, getting featured in the media & adding locations monthly.  I started wholesaling my products to other vending machine operators & helping them get started in creative vending.  Everything was coming together.

When my daughter started kindergarten, I quit my job at the Lucky Lab.  It was hard to balance her school schedule (7:45am -2:15pm) with shifts at the pub.  And free from daycare expenses and with 20 machines in operation, I  didn't even need to work another job anymore. I could FINALLY just focus on vending.  I  enrolled in a fantastic business development class and wrote a 5-year growth plan for The Venderia.  I was so excited about 2020.

  Fancy photo by Lauren Miles (best employee I've ever had) for a talk I gave at Design Museum 


PHASE V. Covid-19

Here we are.  2020 has been a helluva ride!  The pandemic closed all my locations in March.  My revenue plummeted to $0.  I panicked.  It took 5 months for me to get PUA.  I tried out a bunch of new business ideas to stay afloat- online sales, yard parties, launched a piñata company.  It was a whirlwind. Locations opened again, then closed again.  Some of my locations went out of business.  More might.  Or they might reopen.  Or both. I decided to stop worrying about anything or make any plans until we get through this Corona crisis.  

I restarted my blog.   



Comments

  1. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... lhd loader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I admire this blog for the well-researched material and excellent wording. I got so involved in this content that I couldn’t stop reading about Commercial vending machine. Thank you for sharing with us, I too always learn something new from your post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts