Absence makes the heart grow anxious

I've been on vacation for over a week.  From Dallas to Memphis, to Trenton, to Nashville, to Miami, to Costa Rica, it's been a whirlwind!  Spending time with family has been at times hilarious and frightening.  Since I'm away from the machine, it's hard for me to keep this blog fully updated on timely Venderia news.  And while you may be curious as to why I had to fly to Costa Rica unexpectedly, this blog is not about about family medical emergencies, so we'll just have to leave that drama out.  (Don't worry, everyone's ok.)
    What you should know is that the spirit animals are selling out like crazy.  The chance bags, novels, pregnancy tests, and 45s are also doing brisk business.  In the 1st week I was away, Mr.T, my dear husband, had to restock the machine 4 times.  He completely depleted all the back-up spirit animal and chance inventory I had prepared for him.  He's been running all over town, bargain shopping in attempts to fortify our back stock, but our customers are simply ravenous and will not cease their consumption of spirit animals!
     We suspected the Venderia was going to be a hit, but never did I dream we'd be restocking the machine 4 times a week!  (For comparisson, most vending machine operators whose machines sell sodas or snacks restock twice a MONTH.) We haven't even had the launch party yet or done any advertising!  I'm sure some of the initial spike has been from curious Beulahland employees who probably won't continue to buy spirit animals on a daily basis.  And  there's excitement from regulars who notice the new addition to the bar, but who may not continue to hit up the Venderia for all their fertility inquiries.  (I am really stunned that so many people have bought the pregnancy tests!  I just put them in there as a joke! )
     Being so far from the business I must say I feel pangs of jealousy  when I think of  Mr. T sitting inconspicuously close to the machine, discreetly sipping a beer, watching the look of horror as customers pull my deceased great step uncle's used (but clean) underwear out of their mystery bags.  And, oh how I long to hear the sound of money being sucked into the machine, clanking change, and the soft, cushioned drop of the dear products I so love!  But more than jealousy, I feel an enormous sense of relief and pride that I have someone so capable and trustworthy at the helm, guiding the business through it's first rocky weeks of life.  Thank you, Mr. T!  You are doing a magnificent job and I can't wait to get back to Portland to see you!  xoxoxo

Comments

Popular Posts