Double Dino

Last night my friend and I went to Beulahland for beers & hot, live vending.  C had never seen the Venderia and was looking forward to finding her spirit animal.
    An insatiable voyeur, I love watching strangers hit up the machine. But when my pals select spirit animal or chance bags, I get uncomfortable.  Like when Dorothy sees behind the curtain and finds the Wizard of Oz is a mere mortal, I feel my presence somehow breaks the machine's magic spell.  I also get squirmy because I know some of the animal spirits are mean.  I don't want any of my friends to get a nasty spirit animal.  Unfortunately, once the machine loaded, it's all out of my hands.
     Last night when C found her spirit animal a number of strange things happened.  First, although she paid for only 1 bag, she received 2. The first animal was el dinosauro.  This dinosaur was a completely white, thin plastic, very rudimentary-looking dimetrodon.  You can see in the photo that the dinosaur is covered in studs and has a killer mohawk. This dinosaur's fortune read something like"With your studs & mohawk, you are so punk rock.  Beneath the tough attitude though, you're a pale little lizard.  Just cuz you're a badass doesn't mean you can forget sunblock this summer."
   C was not impressed.   She insisted she is NOT a dinosaur.  And although her recent sunburn did clearly indicate her need to apply more sun protection,  I wholeheartedly concur that she does not have much of a dino vibe.  C is spunky, fun, lively, and open.  She is not heavy.  I urged her to peek inside the 2nd bag.  Maybe the next animal would be more suiting...
    The 2nd bag was also a dinosaur!
    Double dinos?!  Very, very strange.  I make a point not to load 2 of the same animals in a row.  Of course there shouldn't be 2 of the same animal in a row!  Duh. No one wants that. And although this was a very different looking, hard plastic, multi-colored, large pachycephalosaurus, and although the fortune was totally different, too, still C was unimpressed, much more unimpressed.  The fortune failed to make matters better.  It read, "You are slow and deliberate.  Despite your small brain, you are a deep thinker.  In times of crisis you are a trusted friend, yet you often fail to take care of your own needs.  With imminent extinction looming, now is a time to quit over-thinking things, trust your gut, and enjoy yourself."  Not a particularly bad fortune.  (Believe me, I have written soooooooo much worse.)  But clearly C was disappointed, even a little pissed off.
     So I am in a pickle.  As I said, C does not exude a dinosaur vibe.  She is not slow and deliberate, and her brain is certainly not small.  But, I can't help feel that the dinosaurs have a real message for her.  How else can you explain 2 spirit animals for the price of one, BOTH dinosaurs, loaded inexplicably in a row?  It's quite unusual.  One bogus spirit animal you can shrug off, but TWO? You gotta meditate on that.
....  Am I growing way too superstitious???

Comments

Popular Posts