"Oh yes I do"

My mom, who quit listening to new music in 1982,  would be pleased (& not the least bit surprised) to know 45s featuring that music from the 60s & 70s sell way quicker from the Venderia than music from the 80s. Case in point, Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" made it to the front slot 4 times before selling, but  Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" & the Four Tops "It's the Same Old Song" spent less than a full day in top spot.
   The other night Mr. T and I were at Beulahland sipping tall boys and spying on the machine.  "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was at the front of the 45 row.  I predicted it was definitely going to sell.  Who wouldn't want that song?  It's a karaoke classic!  Mr. T reminded me that 45 sales skew heavily towards males, and perhaps those of the mannish gender would be less likely to want said single.  Also, according to Mr. T, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" had already made it to the front of the row more than once, and each time had to be reshuffled deeper into the coils because it didn't sell.  Considering his points, and the fact that 80s music is not hugely popular with our buyers, I agreed we would probably not witness a 45 sale that night.
   Not even 2 minutes later, a handsome gent in cut-off jean shorts, who'd been playing pinball and eyeing the Venderia between bouts, took one look at Cyndi Lauper's most fabulous hit single, popped $2 into the machine and proclaimed  "Oh yes I do!"
By the way, Saga, if you're reading this, Cyndi Lauper always reminds me of you!  And I got all the Finnish candy you sent me.  YUM! Thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts