Sparks fly

We are getting ready to install our 2nd machine and there is a lot of work to be done.  Some of that work I am very comfortable with.  For everything else, there's friends.  Hot friends with power tools.

I've known for a few months that La Dos has shelves that cannot be adjusted.  That's a problem for the Venderia.  Most vending machine shelves are spaced very close together because they don't sell tall products.  Bust when you want to put novels, VHS cassettes, WeeJee boards, voodoo dolls, and mystery bags of various dimensions in your vending machines, you need extra space.  Since I can't adjust the shelves on La Dos, the only option is to take those shelves out.  Permanently.
    Unfortunately, the shelves I wanted removed were welded in place.  I spent an hour futilely drilling and hammering the metal shelving.  And then I spent another hour doing that.  And when hour 3 rolled around and I was getting sweaty and angry and still nowhere near dismembering the 1st shelf, I called a pro.
    Julian (above) swooped in with his handy metal-cutting saw and completely annihilated the pesky shelves in no time. Within an hour after that, I had the machine fully stocked.  Success!! ... until I remembered the other problem with La Dos- her bill reader is too finicky to handle heavy business.
    Replacing a bill reader is usually a pretty simple procedure.  You unplug & unscrew the old reader and install a new one in the same spot.  Easy.   But because La Dos' reader is so old, the newer models won't fit properly.  So instead swapping out the old reader for a new one, we had to cut a new hole and create a new mount for the new reader.  More metal work!
    My pal Wes was kind enough to come by and help me with this task. He owed me a favor because I mended his favorite jeans and button-down top.  He looks really good in those jeans, but even so, I think I got the better end of the trade.
Thank you, Julian & Wes, for your work!  
When this machine is up and running, it will be thanks to your great help.  

If you want to know how else Julian uses his power tools, check out his blog about  turning a shipping container into a home http://pdxcontainer.tumblr.com/
And if you want to catch more of Wes, good luck.  He's a mysterious fellow. 

Comments

Popular Posts